By Scott O’Connell/Daily News staff

MetroWest Daily News

Posted Mar 15, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

Last update Mar 18, 2008 @ 03:20 PM

The state Board of Registration in Medicine last week stripped the license of a Westborough psychiatrist accused of assaulting two police officers and a nurse at UMass Memorial Medical Center last spring.

Dr. Perveen Rathore, 51, voluntarily agreed not to practice medicine shortly after the May 2007 incident. The state suspended her medical license indefinitely on March 5.

Rathore worked as an on-call psychiatrist at UMass and also had a private practice in town called Child and Family Services of Westboro.

According to the board’s order, on Sunday morning, May 20, 2007, Rathore was working on-call at UMass when she failed to appear at the hospital to perform a requested patient evaluation. When a medical director at UMass contacted her later that morning, Rathore refused to come in until the conclusion of a party she was attending at the time.

The medical director then informed Rathore she was relieved of her call duty for that day and the rest of the week, and went to the hospital to evaluate the patient. That afternoon, Rathore arrived at the hospital and saw the patient as well. The medical director saw her and told her to leave the hospital.

When Rathore refused to leave, a nurse called UMass police, which sent two officers to escort her out of the hospital. The officers approached Rathore as she was sitting at a computer and told her to leave, but police said she ignored them and continued typing.

“The police officers then informed the respondent that she was under arrest,” the board’s order states. “When one of the police officers placed their hands under the respondent’s elbow to place her under arrest, the respondent began to scream and resisted the officers. A physical altercation ensued.”

Rathore also struck the nurse supervisor and continued to resist even after the officers placed handcuffs on her, the board’s order reads. She was charged with three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (shoe), disorderly conduct and trespassing, charges that were later dismissed, according to Worcester Central District Court records.

The order concluded that Rathore’s behavior “places into question the physician’s competence to practice medicine,” and accused her of practicing medicine while “impaired by alcohol, drug, physical disability or mental instability.”

Sometime during or shortly after the arrest, Rathore complained of chest pain and was taken to the UMass Emergency Department for evaluation. When attempts to calm Rathore were unsuccessful, she was committed to Wing Memorial Hospital and released two days later.

According to UMass Memorial spokeswoman Allison Duffy, Rathore “hasn’t worked (at the hospital) since the event.” The phone number at her West Main Street private practice has been disconnected.

The board’s sanction states that Rathore can have her license restored if she performs a treatment program and undergoes follow up evaluation. Rathore, a 1980 graduate of the King Edward Medical College at the University of Punjab in Pakistan, had held her medical license in Massachusetts since 1997, according to the board’s order.

Copyright © 2008 GateHouse Media, Inc. Some Rights Reserved.

Original content available for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons license, except where noted.